Head of People
London HQ - Hybrid 3 days per week
About the Role
Zeelo is looking for a Head of People to help shape and implement our People & Talent strategy supporting our short and longer-term business goals as we continue to scale the business.
Providing leadership on all things People & Talent, the Head of People will work strategically to embed great practices aligned with, and bringing life to, Zeelo’s values. We recognise that Zeelo’s people (Zeeloites) are fundamental to our continued success; this person will be invaluable to fostering our and their potential.
What you need to know about Zeelo
- Zeelo is a smart bus platform for organizations
- We’re on a mission to build the world’s leading smart mobility platform for organizations, enabling access to safe and sustainable transportation for everyday journeys
- We sell turnkey, managed and software solutions to employers (office-based and shift-based) and schools (private schools and universities)
- We have developed a best-in-class technology platform that connects organizations with riders and operator partners via a route optimization platform, mobile apps and operations management
- We’re just over 5-years old, backed with over $25M of venture capital from ETF Partners, InMotion Ventures (Jaguar Land Rover) and Dynamo.VC
- We’re a team of 150+ across 4 offices (London, Barcelona, Boston, and Durban) and are live in 3 markets (UK, US and South Africa)
- We value time together and advocate a hybrid working environment, typically 3 days per week in the office for most teams
- We encourage a culture where people work smart, move fast, and work together; where performance is rewarded and all team members feel supported on the ride of a lifetime. Our people demonstrate the following virtues in how we work ‘for the pod’:
What you’ll do
As Head of People, you will drive the growth of Zeelo through the lens of People & Culture across our international organisation ensuring that all People related initiatives and activity are aligned to work in harmony with the size and objectives of the business. Reporting into the Global Operations Director you will be a senior member of the management team and influence decisions throughout the business.
- As our trusted advisor, you’ll be the central point of contact for an already stellar global leadership team, helping them level up through coaching and continuous development
- You’ll lead and shape a small, established People team (one People Business Partner & one People Specialist currently)
Organisational design and effectiveness
- Working with the leadership team, you’ll ensure we have the right people in the right roles at the right time!
- You’ll lead on the design & delivery of our recruitment roadmap, ensuring our pods are set up for continued success
- You’ll lead on the design and delivery our frameworks such as OKRs and communication channels to ensure team effectiveness, all in line with our pragmatic growth objectives
Employee experience and engagement
- Building on our internal processes around onboarding, performance enablement, talent & succession planning to ensure we know what great looks like and how to deliver it
- Partnering with the rest of the leadership team on the design and delivery of Zeelo’s culture you’ll support us in defining our culture & values champions based around our plan to grow to a $100million business (P100)
Talent Attraction & Acquisition
- Work with the Head of Talent to ensure scalable talent acquisition processes crafting a great experience for both candidates and hiring managers
- Building our employer brand attracting & retaining the best talent
- Ensuring Zeelo is compliant on all aspects of local employment law (experience of US labour law would be an advantage)
Learning & development
- Working closely with the People Learning and Development Partner, ensuring Zeelo’s People have access to great growth and learning opportunities to enable high performance and to support them to achieve their goals
- Crafting and defining progression paths for Zeelo’s People so we retain great Talent
- Leading on our approach to pay and benefits in line with the stage of growth
- Ensuring all recognition is aligned with our core values
What makes you a good fit for the role
You’ll be an experienced and adaptable Head of People who has likely had experience within a scaleup organisation, possessing a ‘roll up your sleeves’ attitude and demonstrating tact and compassion; drive and enthusiasm even under pressure in a fast-paced environment. You will be pragmatic to business needs and share our belief that a hybrid environment is best.
In short, you’ll know what it takes to level Zeelo up for both short and long term success.
- Qualification in a relevant degree such as organisational psychology, human resources. CIPD qualifications or demonstratable qualification by experience
- Have the ability to work with diverse groups of people and create alignment across multiple countries, inline with business strategy
- Have the ability to find pragmatic balance between progressive People policies and the current stage of the business development
- A strong People generalist background with experience of the full employee lifecycle
- A track record of influencing and advising leadership and management on employment matters (including ER)
- Good working knowledge and experience of UK employment legislation and it’s application
- Some first hand knowledge and experience of US labour law
- Strong EQ, with great interpersonal and communication abilities (written and oral); skilled in communicating with diverse settings, both 1:1 and in large groups
- Commercially-astute, able to map business objectives to organizational and team objectives
Even better if:
You have experience of growing your own People & Talent teams internationally, particularly in the US, South Africa and Spain (or other European countries); which will set you up for success as we continue to scale our global operations.